When we kicked off sales in April we were pleasantly surprised by the immediate, high volume of orders. The unfortunate consequence, however, was that it drove our lead-time all the way up to 14 weeks! (We describe this in detail in our blog post about DEMAND).
Since then, we’ve been hard at work to reduce this wait to a more manageable number.
Here’s what we did:
- Purchased a second building, dedicated exclusively to production. Now we have 4,000 square feet to build the M108.
- Added another CNC mill to our machine shop, this one made for high-volume production. Most of our parts are machined in-house, so we’ll be able to churn them out much faster.
- Expanded the production team. We searched long and hard and came up with a crack-group of production experts. These are the folks that get the complicated and detailed assembly work done… FAST.
- Hired an Inventory Control Specialist, and he does NOT mess around. He will be making sure all 1800+ parts that make up a Mobius move through our facility and production line like butter.
- Bulked up our 2nd Shift team. Yes, we have a 2nd shift that ends after midnight… and that team is getting bigger too. We’re working around the clock!
So, what’s the end-result? We’ve reduced our lead-time to around 8-9 weeks, shaving off 5-6 weeks from where we started. The orders continue to come in, so demand hasn’t slowed down, but we’re going to keep working hard to get even faster and more efficient.
Good is never good enough, not for us!